A bit of a shake up in the power rankings as things start to come into focus a little more. It’s number one, and then a big gap with the other teams. As always, feel free to berate me in the comments section.
1. Green Bay Packers (6-0) – Not even up for debate at this point. This is a game of King Of The Hill. In order for them to get knocked off this top spot, they have to get knocked out of the playoffs. That’s it. Candidate to go 15-1 at the moment.
2. Baltimore Ravens (4-1) – Defense looks scary good once again and a very serviceable offense. Think they edge out the Patriots for the top spot in the AFC.
3. New England Patriots (5-1) – Game against Cowboys was a quintessential Patriots’ win. Nauseating. Team is not without flaws, however.
4. New Orleans Saints (4-2) – Still think they are second best in the NFC, even with their loss to the Bucs. I don’t expect them to lose many more, should be the favorite in that division.
5. San Francisco 49ers (5-1) – You’ve convinced me Niners. You’ve earned the spot. Harbaugh far and away the leading candidate for Coach of the Year thus far.
6. Detroit Lions (5-1) – Not jumping off of the bandwagon, this is still a really good team, they just lost to another one. Should be able to lock up a wild card spot fairly early.
7. Oakland Raiders (4-2) – Had Campbell go down, brought in Carson Palmer. We’ll see if it pays off. If it does, I suspect they could climb the rankings a bit. If not, they will fall.
8. San Diego Chargers (4-1) – Face a tougher schedule in the coming weeks, we’ll know very soon what this team is made of. Game against Oakland looms in a few weeks.
9. Buffalo Bills (4-2) – Two losses came away against inferior teams a little worrisome, but this is a good squad, it’ll come down to them or the Jets for one of the wild card spots. Or both.
10. Pittsburgh Steelers (4-2) – They beat the bad teams, but lose to the decent ones. Still not convinced, they have to show me a little more. Give them this spot on potential.
11. New York Jets (3-3) – Do not like putting them here, but let’s be serious, they’re going to compete for a playoff spot. That being said, I think an early exit if they do make it in is in the cards.
12. New York Giants (4-2) – I really don’t like putting them here, but if I put my division favorite on top of them, Giants fans will burn my house down. Really rough schedule down the stretch.
13. Dallas Cowboys (2-3) – Their three losses came against the Lions, Patriots, and Jets. Division games will be key in deciding this division. A bit high for them, but until they really start imploding, I’ll keep them here.
14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-2) – Impossible to figure out. I think they’ll challenge for a playoff spot, but some weeks I just don’t think so. They’re on watch after beating the Saints.
15. Houston Texans (3-3) – We are who we thought they were. An incredibly mediocre team. They’ll win this division by default, but have shown that they can’t beat playoff contenders.
16. Cincinnati Bengals (4-2) – Remember when I said this would be the worst team in the NFL? Well, I was wrong.
17. Atlanta Falcons (3-3) – Remember when Roddy White was an elite receiver? What has happened to him?
18. Tennessee Titans (3-2) – Don’t think they’ll be holding the top spot in the AFC South for long. That being said, this is a frisky team, will upset some teams as we saw against Baltimore earlier this season.
19. Philadelphia Eagles (2-4) – Have this spot based on talent. Could still challenge for the division and I think they will. In the end, the early losses will prove too costly.
20. Washington Redskins (3-2) – This is the beginning of the end.
21. Chicago Bears (3-3) – That offensive line isn’t going to beat anyone. It also won’t be playing in January. They’ll beat all the cupcakes, but good teams will tear them apart.
22. Carolina Panthers (1-5) – I still believe Cam. A few more losses and I might have to start docking you though. Game against Falcons could’ve been a statement.
23. Cleveland Browns (2-3) – There are some BAD teams in the league right now. Proof: the Browns are at 23, meaning there are 9 teams that are worse.
24. Kansas City Chiefs (2-3) – Let’s see what Battle can do for them in the backfield. Look like they’re out of the running in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.
25. Arizona Cardinals (1-4) – Don’t think they are the worst team in their division and I base that solely on the fact that they have Larry Fitzgerald.
26. Denver Broncos (1-4) – Massive fire sale. Looks like they’re trying to play themselves into the competition for Luck. Setting up Tim Tebow to fail.
27. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-5) – If Del Rio survives another season, he is the new Rasputin. What a travesty of a team.
28. Seattle Seahawks (2-3) – Having a bye this week is the best thing that could’ve happened to them in the power rankings.
29. Indianapolis Colts (0-6) – I know they’re technically the losingest team in the league, but if they want a shot at Luck, they need to sit down Painter. The Painter-Garcon connection will win them a few games.
30. Minnesota Vikings (1-5) – This is what happens when you start McNabb and then bench him for Ponder. Think Adrian Peterson regrets signing that long term deal right about now?
31. St. Louis Rams (0-5) – They got Brandon Lloyd. OK. Why?
32. Miami Dolphins (0-5) – …